Working as the security guard you are in a position where unintentionally exposes the confrontation or the conflict. You should have the skills and abilities for managing conflict in the workplace that can develop from practice and awareness.
The organization will develop conflict management strategies and policies to deal with internal conflicts, and these policies normally produce by the HR department.
Company policy for managing conflict in the workplace.
The company will develop a conflict resolution policy depending on the potential causes that have existed in the organization. Conflict resolution policy contains the pre-approved system for handling conflict in the workplace. The documents may describe;
- Employee rights to a fair and equitable workplace
- Informal conflict resolution steps
- Formal resolution steps
- Timelines for conflict resolution
Causes of the conflict in the workplace
The common cause of the conflict comes with diverse cultures from opposing views on religious, professional, and social practices. Understanding the cultural differences present in the workplace will help the security staff to identify the conflict and avoid the situation.
The different culture has a different perspective on social and professional matters. Persons who have a strong view of their culture can easily involve in the personal conflict in the workplace team or others.
The security guard should remain respectful to all cultures to avoid damaging the relationship with anyone. It is important for you to understand the cultural differences in your team, because, it avoids the emergence of the conflict among the team members.
If the diverse cultural workforce is in the workplace you should aware of the following things;
- Worship habits and locations
- Food and drink specific to a culture
- Clothing and accessories worn
- Days of religious significance
How to recognize conflict situations in the workplace?
An emotional showing is a crucial indicator of conflict, and it is difficult to hide from the people’s view. Any indication of negative emotion from others may signal the personal conflict is going on.
If the security staff have the ability to understand the conflict condition in the workplace. They can prevent the conflict from happening in the team as well as with the public. You should able to recognize the cause of the conflict and take appropriate action to resolve it. The conflict occurs in many environments including
- At the office
- On duty facing the public or other site users
- Within security posts e.g. control room or access control point
The security staff must be aware of where and how the conflict could take place and must know the site policy for managing conflict in the workplace.
What are the sources of conflict in the workplace?
- Internal work team
- Verbal abuse
- Untidy workspace
- Tension between members
- Poor communication
- Lack of space or privacy
- External sources
- Disrespectful employees outside the security team
- Deliberate aggression e.g.
- Personal violence
- Attempts to damage or destroy property
- Upset site visitors, contractors, delivery agents, etc.
conflict management strategies
If the conflict happened between colleagues, customers, and people the security staff should take appropriate action to restore the healthy work environment.
There are many recognized conflict management techniques in the workplace but each has strengths and weaknesses. The 5 well-known conflict resolution steps are;
- Collaboration method: This strategy brings together each person’s common interests to achieve a common goal. This could take time and needs much trust among the people they have involved.
- Compromise method: Everybody must be flexible with respect to the conflict’s resolution result. It can achieve faster than other conflict management strategies.
- Competition method: Is it one of the conflicts management strategy. The conflicted persons put in the competition to prove who has the correct standpoint. There is a weakness that the loser will not satisfied with the outcome.
- Accommodation strategy: This involves 1 person admitting to the other that they were wrong, or agreeing to disagree and move on.
- Avoidance strategy: This basically places the dispute to one side, to be dealt at a later time. Hoping that the issue will disappear after a long time.
Conflict resolution steps;
The security personnel should take the four basic conflict resolution steps to resolve the conflict between themselves and others or between other parties.
managing conflict in the workplace = “SLOW”
- Set the tone
- Listen and acknowledge
- Observe and organize
- Work toward resolution
- Set the tone of the conversation
- View the situation as a problem to be solved together – not a battle to be won
- Use positive verbal and body language
- Be aware of and control the natural instincts to be aggressive
- Listen and acknowledge
- Listen to the other person’s feelings, emotions, and experiences
- One of the biggest barriers to conflict resolution is when people are unwilling to acknowledge each other‟s perspective on the situation
- Observe and organize the situation
- Try to view the conflict as a 3rd person to understand the whole story
- Ask questions to better understand the opposing point of view
- Work to find a solution
- Once the issues causing the conflict have been clearly observed and organized, an open mind is required to see a solution
- Try to find a solution that will satisfy each person
- Many solutions may be identified, and each person may then agree upon a final solution
Reviewing process after managing conflict in the workplace
In order to ensure the enduring effect of the solution, it is necessary to evaluate the results of any dispute. Security staff may take time to determine whether the solutions agreed are still relevant and remain aware of any changes that may lead to a new start or re-start of the old dispute.
Conclusion: managing conflict in the workplace depends on your ability and skills to deal with the people who have involved. You should have well knowledge of your company policy regarding conflict resolution.