In this, CCTV operator training. You will learn the skills to run the CCTV and together with the control room operation. If you have not gone through the control room operation click here.
Not all the security guard can be the CCTV operator because they need some unique skills and ability to operate the most sophisticated system in the modern security industries and should have the practical knowledge about the site.
What are the skills of CCTV operators?
- Site layout knowledge
- Visual detection techniques
- Behavioral analysis
Site map or site layout
Although all the security personnel needs to have knowledge about their site layout CCTV operator should able to find the exact location throughout the camera feeds and smart enough to determine whether the activities are concerned the safety and security of the organization. The tools available to build your knowledge about your site are;
- know the Camera location
- Know the Black spots (No coverage)
- Site familiarization patrols
- Emergency or incident response rehearsals
If the organization is big and numerous cameras have installed. It is good practice to mark the camera with their ID number, because, it helps to identify the position of the camera on the organization map.
In case of the camera down (Blackout) or the area is out of the camera coverage. you should coordinate with the mobile patrol officer to make sure they pay the sufficient attention where you could not monitor from the control room.
2. Visual detection Technics
Many modern CCTV systems can detect the motion, heat, and even crossing the security zone but humans only can determine the complex scenario better than any technology.
Detecting the safety and security incident is the key skill of the CCTV operator which can develop from doing the following things.
- Find the difference in the video feed since the last view?
- know what security and safety threats look like? Materials, Equipment, Weapons, Vehicles, People, and Environmental factors.
- Identify the picture of the object that does not belong to that area.
- Identify the normal and abnormal conditions of the site.
- Repeatedly track people’s actions and decide if they are suspects? Use the following Technics for determining the people behavior;
- scan (check the visual picture with available visual detection techniques)
- identity (Determine if anything is missing)
- focus (Zoom the camera to eliminate the distance as much as you can get a clear picture)
- evaluate (Determine, does the target presence the security and safety threat?)
- decide. (Take action if requires or continue monitor)
3. Behavioral analysis
You can determine from the human behavior if they are going to involve in any suspicious or threatening activity. The behavior analysis is the process of the no-verbal communication they have made which include;
- Personal space: People make their space when they are talking, or doing something. If we could identify the personal space it helps us to determine their relationship.
|close intimate||<15cm||Spouse and family|
The posture can interpret the intention. Posture can also be used to conceal objects or weapons that have been carried. Example of the posture;
|Defensive||Hands held up|
|Body turned away|
|One leg forward|
|Pulling at hair|
|Rigid torso when turning|
|Bulges in clothing|
Favoring a particular foot
Eye contact also helps us to analyze the relationship, intention, or threat of safety and security. Depending on your camera resolution, if it is possible? try to figure out their intention by evaluating eye contact. People with ill intentions may communicate with non-verbal methods to hide the secrecy of their plan. The relationship of the people can interpreter as following through eye contact.
- Personal interest or surveillance
Eye contact between the unfamiliar people is brief but the longer means people who know each other or maybe communicating with each other about doing something bad.
Physical gestures also provide an obvious indication of actions. Waving the hand, clamping, and signaling via a finger or fist interpret people’s intentions. A CCV operator should perceive gestures and determine the possible danger to safety or security. The social and cultural context may play vital roles to understand the gestures of the people.
A valuable method for behavior analysis is to identify a profile of different possible risks for a site or organization which may include;
- clothing and accessories
- Physical attributes
- Cultural identifiers
- Interpersonal contact
- The cultural context of personal space
What is Hostile surveillance and when it needs to do?
Before the security breach occurs as a CCTV operator, you should monitor the target and be vigilant by carrying out hostile surveillance. By doing so, you can prevent the security breach, these following activities must treat suspicious and conduct the surveillance;
- The same vehicle repeatedly passed the same location
- Taking the picture or recording the video of the security area.
- Drawing and taking the note without permission.
- No clear reason but long waiting.
- Asking the question with employees or security personnel regarding the security system and procedure.
- If someone repeatedly activates the false alarm.
- False delivery of packages
- Persons in the unauthorized area, particularly critical systems e.g. heating, venting, cooling or electrical systems
Conclusion: Although most of the companies send their staff for CCTV operator training getting some knowledge from our training lesson will help you to understand more, in the security CCTV operator training.