First Aid Security guard training is a very essential lesson for the security personnel, because, it is a life-saving Technic for the casualty person at the scene of a medical emergency.
What is First Aid?
First aid is the immediate treatment of a patient before trained medical personnel can take over.
What is the aim of first aid?
- Preserve life
- Prevent further harm
- Promote recovery
These three points are usually referred to as 3P” (principle of first aid).
How should you respond to a medical emergency?
- Assessing a medical emergency quickly and safely,
- Call for appropriate assistance
- Identify the injury or illness
- Give early and appropriate treatment in order of priority
- Comfort and reassure a casualty
- Hand over to emergency services
- Prepare and submit incident reports
What is important for the security guard at the scenes of a medical emergency?
When you arrive at the scenes of injury or medical incident the most important thing is to survey the sites and identify the following;
- What physical hazards are present?
- How can the risk of further harm be reduced?
- Levels of consciousness of the casualty or casualties
What types of hazards could include in the medical scene?
Responding to the medical incident, a security guard should control the hazards present at the site the types of hazards could include;
- Vehicles and traffic
- Machinery and equipment
- Live electricity
- Contaminants or chemicals
- Debris and damaged construction materials
- Flammable liquids or gases
What does mean basic life support?
Basic life support at the medical emergency is to provide the following three things;
- Initial assessment of a casualty
- Maintaining an airway and breathing
- Resuscitation – CPR
In the case of Catastrophic Bleeding: If a casualty is bleeding from a major artery, death will occur within a matter of minutes.
In case of Heavy bleeding: If there is obvious heavy bleeding, treat this as first priority before continuing with the cycle of primary care.
Conclusion: Many country’s private security regulatory agency has included First Aid in security guard training, because, the security guard will see several accidents that need medical assistance in the first place.