The security control room operator performs variously defined duties and has huge responsibilities depending on the organization and security equipment have installed there. There may be several duties and responsibilities of security control room operator but here are some basic requirements;
- Control room supervisor
- Security systems operator
- Communications operator
Security systems operator Duties;
- Depending on the site the security systems operator may require to install the CCTV system.
- Constantly focus and monitor the site activities via CCTV or other surveillance systems.
- Respond to the intrusion alarm by instructing the team.
- Control remotely such as gate, doors, or other access points.
- Be high-level vigilance
- Attention to the details of every activity.
CCTV operators duties and responsibilities
One of the duties of the security operator is to monitor the CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) network, as many businesses worldwide rely on this technology to surveillance the area. Here are the common duties of CCTV operator;
The daily system checks;
- Camera status 100% functional
- Resolution of the video is good
- CCTV operating system working (controllers and software)
- Recording and retrieval system is working
Keep a record on the daily system check the logbook
Live video monitoring;
Video monitoring is the primary duty of the CCTV operator, it is important that every 5 minutes should monitor the video feeds from the available cameras.
3. Video patrolling;
It is the systematic monitoring of certain areas of companies. You should conduct the visual inspection of the designated route and sequences of the cameras. This Technic usually set for the control room supervisor in cooperation with the security manager. The area where generally should conduct the video patrolling;
- Vulnerable or critical areas
- Remote and low activity areas
- Areas not covered by foot patrols
4. Live incident tracking;
When the incident detects by the operators they should track the other elements which may involve. You should also monitor the surrounding cameras to find more detail about the incidents.
The monitoring of life events gives the supervisor the best situational information, therefore, he can make the prompt and appropriate response plan. While you are tracking the live incident you should do the following things;
- Track the available camera feeds to monitor the location and activities of the party who have involved.
- Report the incident location and persons to the communication operators or directly to the supervisor.
- Report what activities have been going on there to the supervisor or communication operator.
- Be vigilant to further safety and security threats during the ongoing incident.
- Effective communication during live incident tracking is an important part of the incident response.
5. Retrieving recorded images;
If the incident requires further investigation, the CCTV operator may need to retrieve the recorded footage from the backup.
Every company has the security policy and procedure for every matter which concerns the security and safe of the organization.
At the time of the following situation, you may require to provide the recorded data;
- Internal investigations for the incident
- Training activities
- providing the police to assist the investigation for the particular case.
6. Other duties;
- Security patrols on foot and in a vehicle (depending on site)
- Access control (depending on site)
- Controlling and issuing keys
- Operating as a key-holder
- Maintaining log books and registers
Conclusion: The security control room operator should have trained the necessary skills for responding to real-time incidents. Although they are not the technician to fix the problem they should have familiarity with the integrated systems in the control room.