You must know the fire fighting devices before you go for the fire extinguisher use training, because, they are part of the fire suppression system. In this fire extinguisher use training lesson, you will learn about the types of fire, fire fighting equipment as well as operating them effectively.
Categories of the fire fighting equipment
The security guards or employees of the companies always use portable equipment while the fire defense unit uses the fixed equipment.
Examples of portable equipment;
- Fire extinguisher
- Fire blanket
- Fire bucket (sand, powder or liquid)
Examples of fixed equipment;
- Sprinkler systems
- Hose reels
Use of Fire extinguisher
The primary fire extinguisher used for controlling the small fires, but using the extinguisher to control a large and well-established fire will only put your life into danger.
The most common fire extinguishers have developed to put out the specific fire, therefore, It is necessary to be aware of types of fire, so, you can use the appropriate extinguisher to stop it.
Types of fires;
Class A = Fire on solid material such as paper, clothes, and woods, etc.
Class B = Fire on the flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel, and kerosene, etc.
Class C = Fire on the flammable gases such as Propane, Hydrogen, Butane, Methane, Ethylene, Acetylene, Ammonia, Ethane, and Silane, etc.
Class D = Fire on the metal
Class E = Electric fire
Types of fire extinguisher;
Use of fire extinguisher on the types of fire;
- Water = Class – A
- Foam = Class – A & B
- Co2 = Class – B, C, and E
- DCP = Class A, B, C, D, and E
- Don’t use a water extinguisher on a flammable liquid fire – the fire can spread
- When using foam to fight fat or oil fires, aim to the side and allow the foam to spread over the base of the fire
- Co2 is compressed gas and will blow solid fuels around, spreading the fire
- Never use a fire extinguisher on a person
- Extinguishers control a fire by Smothering or Cooling the fire
- All extinguishers have a pressure gauge except for Co2
- The contents of a fire extinguisher are known as the Agent
- One of the responsibilities of security personnel is to know the location of fire extinguishers it the site, and check their status on regular patrols.
How to inspect a fire extinguisher?
- Visible damage to the cylinder or valves
- Last technical inspection, and next due date
- Correct pressure reading on the gauge
- Agent label clearly marked and facing out
- Any issues with fire-extinguishers should be reported and followed up immediately.
- Water = (Red)
- Foam = (Cream)
- Co2 = (Black)
- DCP = (Blue)
The effective range of the Fire extinguisher
- Water = 10 -12 meters
- Foam = 3 meters
- Co2 = 1 to 3 meters
- DCP = 2 to 6 meters
PASS: It is a global method to extinguish the fire, every letter has own meaning.
- P=Pull (Full the safety pin from the lever)
- A=Aim (Aim the nozzle directly to the base of the fire)
- S= Squeeze (Squeeze and active the trigger)
- S=Sweep (Sweep the nozzle side by side)
When you using the CO2 extinguisher to put out the fire keep your on the nozzle because it can damage your skin cause the CO2 compressed gas is -78 degree celsius.
The fire blankets are commonly found in the workplace which is made of the none flammable fibers and mostly uses in the kitchen or small fire.
When you cover the fire through this blanket, it reduces the oxygen into the fire the cause of that the fire can stop. It is one of the examples of Smothering which is a fire extinguishing method.
How to use the fire blanket?
- Remove the blanket from its pouch
- Grip the blanket at the corners, your finger should be behind for the protection
- Place the blanket directly over the source of the fire
- Keep your head behind the blanket to protect against heat and flames
- A fire blanket will take time to smother the fire and prevent further oxygen from accessing the fire.
- Once the blanket is in position, do not move it.
- Once a fire blanket has been used, it must be replaced by a new one.
Use the fire blanket on a person at the fire
- Stop – don’t run away
- Drop – fall to the ground
- Roll – You may use a fire blanket and wrap it around a person to help stop the fire.
- A fire blanket can also be used to cover you during an emergency evacuation from immediate burning.
Conclusion: The security personal will go under the fire extinguisher use training practically. Knowing theoretically about the fire equipment and fire extinguishers make you more confident in the training and add extra value for your career in the future.